Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Toughen up, Buttercup!

Before you read this post, check this out.

So...I've been running...here and there. I've been biking sporadically. To say I am unprepared to swim a mile in 7 weeks is a gross understatement.

Why? What's going on? My list of grievances:

1. Running - I need a shin transplant. Or some painkillers. Or SOMETHING. Why can't I run pain free? This is getting old.

2. Biking - OK, this isn't that bad, but I am SO over the wind. I'm hesitant to bike into work on some days because the wind is so awful I feel like I have a flat. That being said, had a good ride over the weekend and will commute in tomorrow on the Beastie Bike.

3. Swimming - During my last swim, I was overcome with crazy motion sickness. WTF? This has never happened to me before, and I am a little concerned, to say the least. I hope to swim in the next couple days, so we'll see how that goes...

Now that the whiny-ness has been purged, I just need to get over it. The distances looming before me are nothing (see above noted article) and I am looking for the joy of training again. Have you seen it? Is it behind a curve on a sweet downhill? In the gentle breeze of my morning ride? How about in the dappled sunlight at the bottom of the pool? I know it's out there - I just have to toughen up and find it.

xox

3 comments:

Sillygirl said...

maybe you should look for it in the woods...

gk said...

Have you considered using a shin compression sleeve? It might help stabilize your calves and shins...which in turn might reduce/eliminate the pain.

Sharanya said...

Oh Steph, I just re-discovered my joy of training.. it was on the veloway! It was hiding amidst the bluebonnets that covered the long grassy patches on the side of the tar track.. and in the mean hill - that I scaled thrice on my first bike training in a year and a half.. It's out there, honey. Reach out and grab it!!! :)